For this project we really focused on the process of coming up with ideas and trying to make our sun faces unique and different. Often in class students are quick to use the first idea that they come up with. I was trying to get them to slow down and brainstorm lots of ideas before settling on their favorite. I made a worksheet that I thought might help them with this process. I also showed them some terra cotta sun faces and we talked about how different they all were. I didn't leave the sun faces out while they were drawing though because I wanted to try to get the most original ideas. The kids came up with some great ideas and very different sun faces. I think taking the extra time to do a little more planning helped.
Here are the planning worksheets:
After our sun faces were finished we photographed and edited them on the ipad using the Popsicolor app. It's a fun app that gives the look of watercolor and ink. The students enjoyed giving their artwork another different and creative look.